Organic Brain Syndrome (OBS) refers to physical disorders which lead to a decline in mental function. OBS more commonly inflicted on seniors. OBS is not an inevitable part of aging, but the OBS is not a separate disease. OBS is a general term used to categorize physical conditions that can cause mental changes.
Organic mental disorders generally experienced by the elderly, but can also occur in younger people. This interference can lead to weakened or worsening mental function with symptoms such as impaired memory, difficulty in performing daily activities, and understand the language.
Organic mental disorders or organic brain syndrome is a term formerly used for the actual condition called neurocognitive disorders. This condition is a combination of several physical disorders can affect your mental functions.
The diseases included in the Organic Mental disorders.
In addition to Alzheimer’s disease which more popularly known to the community, there is still another medical condition that is classified as neurocognitive diseases, among them:
- Parkinson’s disease.
- Huntington’s Disease.
- Lewy body disease.
- Brain injury (Traumatic Brain Injury/TBI).
- Frontotemporal degeneration.
- Prion Diseases.
- Dementia due to HIV infection.
These conditions are grouped into mild and severe neurocognitive disease, based on the severity of the symptoms that appear. There is a mild organic mental disorders, while severe organic mental disorders are generally considered as dementia. Previously, all neurocognitive diseases are called dementia, though the use of the term was incorrect.
Causes of organic mental disorders
Common causes of organic mental disorders are cellular damage or trauma to the brain, it can also be caused by a disease or nutritional imbalances. An overview of the causes of organic mental disorders, such as:
- Disorders of cognitive functions: Include memory, thought, concentration, learning resources disorders.
- Sensorium disorders: disorders of consciousness, attention or difficulty focusing the mind.
- The syndrome with a prominent manifestation:. The presence of hallucinations, delusions, insights, unstable emotional changes, depression.
Conditions associated with Organic Mental disorders.
Organic mental disorders could be interpreted as a decline in mental function due to medical illness in addition to psychiatric illness. Here are the conditions that can cause an organic mental disorder:
- Brain injury caused by heavy wounds (trauma).
This condition involving bleeding in the brain or in the space around the brain, blood clotting in the skull that suppress the brain, and concussion.
- Respiratory disorders.
Conditions such as low oxygen levels in the body (hypoxia) and high levels of carbon dioxide in the body (hipercapnia).
- Disorders of the heart and blood vessels.A variety of conditions such as stroke, transient ischemic attack (TIA), endocarditis, and myokarditis.
- Dementia is caused by disorders of metabolism.
Such as kidney disease, thyroid, and deficiency of vitamin B, B12, or folate.
- The condition is caused by drugs and alco**hol.
For example, poisoning due to drug and alco**hol abuse, as well as a condition called Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome (long-term effects from the consumption of alco**holic beverages or excessive malnutrition).
- Various types of infections.
For example a brain infection, septicemia, meningitis, and the final stage of syphilis.
- Complications from cancer.
Symptoms Of Organic Brain Syndrome.
In General, the OBS causes a variety of symptoms such as:
- Delirium (severe, short-term loss of brain function),
Delirium is a chaotic mental condition and difficulty concentrating or focusing due to physical damage to the brain or the use of psychoactive substances.
- Dementia (long-term, often progressive, loss of brain function).
- The decline in intellectual function and memory.
- Disturbances in speech and language.
- Disorientation of space, time, and people.
- The presence of motor disorders.
- Having trouble making decisions.
- Emotions and feelings become unstable.
- Personality change and diverge.
Treatment Of Organic Brain Syndrome.
Treatment varies, many non-treatment-especially to treat sufferers who lose brain function. Treatment may be needed to reduce aggressive behavior typical of some conditions in this category.
Last Updated on December 18, 2018 Reviewed by Market Health Beauty Team