Markethealthbeauty.com | Foods To Increase Platelets – In every human body there are red blood cells and white blood cells that support the continuity of body functions.
One of the blood cells with a normal number between 150,000 to 450,000 pieces/micro liter of blood is platelets. [1,2].
Platelets are also known as the smallest blood cells, which have the main function of supporting the blood clotting process [1,2].
When platelets are at a normal level or number, these blood cells will clot automatically so that a person does not bleed too much [1,2].
What happens when the body lacks platelets?
Thrombocytopenia is a condition to watch out for, namely when the number of platelets is too small or less than the normal number [1,2,3].
When the body lacks platelets or a person experiences thrombocytopenia, the following are the symptoms [1,3]:
- Bleeding gums
- Easy bruising
- Urinate and bloody stools
- In women, menstruation is heavier than usual (larger volume of blood coming out)
- Bleeding when injured is difficult to stop (blood is difficult to clot)
If you experience a number of the above symptoms, it means that the condition and number of platelets in the body are not normal [1,3].
Foods To Increase Platelets
The following is a list of foods to increase platelets that can be consumed immediately.
Kiwi is one source vitamin C as well as mineral potassium / high potassium .
Therefore, for people with dengue fever who experience a drastic decrease in platelet levels, eating kiwi can increase their levels back to normal .
In addition to increasing platelet count and stabilizing it, eating kiwi also helps to increase the body’s energy .
Another fruit that is also one of the foods to increase platelets level is pomegranate [5,6].
Rich in iron, this fruit is appropriate when consumed when the body is experiencing a platelet crisis [5,6].
Both strawberries, blueberries, goji berries, blackberries, and raspberries are a group of platelet-enhancing berries .
Rich in antioxidant properties, berries can also be consumed to protect the body from various disease threats .
4. Aloe Vera Extract
Aloe vera extract is one of Foods To Increase Platelets. Although aloe vera extract is better known as antiviral intake which can lower blood fat and blood sugar levels, even for platelets, this plant extract is very effective .
Consuming aloe vera extract on a regular basis is effective in increasing the number of platelets that had fallen .
5. Papaya Leaf Extract
Eat papaya leaf can also increase platelets naturally, especially when infected dengue hemorrhagic fever [4,5].
Alternatively, drinking papaya leaf extract as much as 1-2 cups can be an easy and fast platelet enhancer [4,5].
Other foods to increase platelets are pumpkin which is known to contain high vitamin A .
By meeting the body’s need for vitamin A through the intake of pumpkin, the production of platelets in the body by the spine will occur .
For pregnant women who want to increase their platelet levels so that the pregnancy goes smoothly, pumpkin is a safe food source .
7. Green Leafy Vegetables
Green leafy vegetables can increase platelet levels because they are rich in vitamin K [4,5].
Spinach, celery, parsley, basil, kale and asparagus are a class of green leafy vegetables that can be consumed [4,5].
The folic acid content in these vegetables is also relatively high so that it can also affect platelet levels [4,5].
Wheatgrass is one of foods to increase platelets level in the body because it contains high chlorophyll [4,8].
Chlorophyll itself is also a type of supplement that can be taken when the platelets are down [4,8].
Fresh wheatgrass juice is a healthy drink that can help increase the number of platelets, especially in cancer patients who are undergoing chemotherapy [4,8].
9. Milk and its Processed Products
Milk does not only contain high protein and calcium, which are good for muscle and bone health [4,5].
Milk also contains vitamin K which is good for the blood clotting process in the body [4,5].
Drinking milk regularly does not only strengthen bones and prevent osteoporosis, but will also increase the total platelet count [4,5].
A glass of milk every day is highly recommended so that the health of bones, muscles and blood is well maintained [4,5].
The most recommended milks are almond milk and soy milk, which offer the high vitamin B12 for the body [4.5].
Apart from milk, processed products can also be consumed, such as cheese and eggs to increase platelets [4,5].
Dairy products contain vitamin B12, which will increase the production of red blood cells as well as platelets [4,5].
10. Meat and Liver
Meat as well as liver are two high sources of vitamin K which will help encourage an increase in platelet count .
Not only blood cells, eating meat and liver in sufficient and correct portions can also nourish the body so that the cells in it develop properly .
11. Foods Containing High Omega-3
To increase the level of platelets in the body, intake of foods that are high in omega-3 is highly recommended .
Omega-3 fatty acids if consumed regularly and properly fulfilled it will be very good for the whole body .
Not only fish, fish oil and walnuts is a high omega-3 food source that can be consumed .
So if someone is injured, but he is a consumer of omega-3 fatty acids, bleeding will not occur excessively and too seriously .
While consuming foods to increase platelets, make sure to avoid some foods and drinks that can have the opposite effect on platelets.
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. Thrombocytopenia. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute; 2022.
- Johanna G. van der Bom, Susan R. Heckbert, Thomas Lumley, Chris E. Holmes, Mary Cushman, Aaron R. Folsom, Frits R. Rosendaal, & Bruce M. Psaty. Platelet count and the risk for thrombosis and death in the elderly. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis; 2010.
- Sruthi Jinna & Paras B. Khandhar. Thrombocytopenia. National Center for Biotechnology Information; 2022.
- Adrija Chakraborty. 15 Foods to Increase Platelet Count in Your Blood. Be Body Wise; 2021.
- Richa Arora. How To Increase Platelet Count Naturally. PharmEasy; 2022.
- Iris Erlund, Raika Koli, Georg Alfthan, Jukka Marniemi, Pauli Puukka, Pirjo Mustonen, Pirjo Mattila, & Antti Jula. Favorable effects of berry consumption on platelet function, blood pressure, and HDL cholesterol. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition; 2008.
- Ammar Achraf, Chtourou Hamdi, Mouna Turki, Osama Abdelkarim, Fatma Ayadi, Anita Hoekelmann, Sourou Yaich & Nizar Souissi. Natural pomegranate juice reduces inflammation, muscle damage and increases blood platelets levels in active healthy Tunisian aged men. Alexandria Journal of Medicine; 2018.
- Neelofar Khan, Aditya Ganeshpurkar, Nazneen Dubey, & Divya Bansal. Immunoprophylactic potential of wheat grass extract on benzene-induced leukemia: An in vivo study on murine models. Indian Journal of Pharmacology; 2015.