Sertraline 25 mg: Side Effects and How To Use It – If you or your relatives have experienced excessive anxiety, a sense of fear or depression, Sertraline is one of the medications that will be given to give you a sense of calm and eliminate the variety of feelings that can lead to feelings Want to end life or sui**cide.
Sertraline is a drug with functions to treat depression, panic attacks, obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), post-traumatic stress disorder, social anxiety disorder (social phobia), and severe forms of premenstrual syndrome (premenstrual dysphoric disorder).
These drugs can improve your mood, sleep, appetite, and energy levels and can help restore your interest in daily life. These drugs can lower fear, anxiety, unwanted thoughts, and a number of panic attacks. These drugs can also reduce the urge to perform repetitive tasks (encouragement like handwashing, counting, and inspecting) that interfere with daily life.
Read also: Foods that trigger anxiety doubled.
Sertraline is known as serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI). It works by helping to restore the balance of certain natural substances (serotonin) in the brain.
- Consumption of antidepressants can increase the risk for sui**cide in children and older people under 24 years, in 1-2 months at the beginning of consumption. Because of that, need special attention to changes in sufferer behavior during the first 1-2 months. Discuss with the doctor about the risks and benefits.
- It is not recommended to be consumed by children under 6 years of age. Use in children aged 6 years and above only for OCD.
- Sertraline should not be used for patients with bipolar disorder, because it may result in worsening symptoms of the disease.
- Avoid using sertraline along with linezolid antibiotics, fentanyl drugs and diuretics.
- Caution use in persons over 65 years old, suffering from heart disease, kidney disorders, liver disorders, epilepsy, diabetes, glaucoma, blood disorders, as well as undergoing electroconvulsive therapy (ECT).
- Do not discontinue consumption of sertraline suddenly or without consulting a doctor.
- If there is an allergic reaction or overdose, immediately meet the doctor.
How to use Sertraline 25 mg drugs?
Use of the Sertraline drug adapted to its purpose. Usually, patients who want to use the drug as a treatment can see the instructions for use that correspond to the dosage. Some things to consider when taking Sertraline medications:
- The benefits of Sertraline medications can be felt within 1 to 2 weeks. If the patient is improving, it is advisable to still take the medication. If you want to stop, consult a physician. Sudden stop can give you bad side effects.
- Patients suffering from blood sugar or diabetes are advised to consult a physician first. Sertraline medications can affect blood sugar levels.
- Taking the Sertraline drug is recommended to always at the same time.
- Sertraline medications are not recommended for children under 6 years of age. Some sources say even for children between 6-18 years of age must be through a doctor’s prescription. In addition to children, the drug is not recommended for patients 65 years and above.
- For some people, allergic reactions or side effects can be felt instantly. Consult a doctor immediately if you feel side effects like: headache, drowsiness, anxiety, nausea and diarrhea, palpitations, muscle spasms until loss of consciousness.
- Before deciding to take Sertraline medicines, please be aware that some of the following diseases may interact with the Sertraline drug. Avoid taking medication if you have a disease such as:
- Bipolar Disorder
- History of seizures
- Hyponatremia (low sodium).
Sertraline 25 mg Side effects
Each drug usage always has certain side effects. Side effects do not necessarily occur in any application of the drug, but if there is an excess side effect, should be handled immediately by medical personnel.
Sertraline 25 mg medications can cause some side effects such as: nausea, dizziness, drowsiness, dry mouth, diarrhea, abdominal pain, difficulty sleeping.
Seek medical help immediately if there are very rare but serious side effects such as:
- Liver failure
- Inflammation of the pancreas
- Diabetes Mellitus
- Ears buzzing
- In children under 24 years of age, the use of sertraline may increase the risk and sui**cidal behavior. Therefore, in child patients, in their use should be considered the benefits gained at the risk that may occur. The patient should be closely monitored within the first 1 – 2 months after administration of therapy, if there is a change in behavior, clinical deterioration, and a sui**cide tendency, immediately consult your physician.
- Potentially Fatal: Serotonin syndrome (which is characterized by hypereflex, myoclonus, wrinkles in muscles, fever, stiffness in muscles, sweating, pe**nis erec**tion, chills, tremor, convulsions or coma) or neuroleptic malignant syndrome, severe skin reactions (Stevens Johnson Syndrome), bleeding on the part of the skin (ecchymosis, purpura), bleeding in the gastrointestinal tract.
There are some other side effects that are not yet listed. If you have any other side effects outside the list above, consult your doctor immediately.
Thank you very much for reading Sertraline 25 mg: Side Effects and How To Use It, hopefully useful.
Last Updated on November 3, 2020 Reviewed by Market Health Beauty Team