Methadone side effects distinguish between common side effects such as nausea, vomiting, and drowsiness, as well as the fatal overdose due to side effects such as shock, stopping the heart, and stop breathing. Drug interactions include decreasing the effectiveness on usage together with rifampicin.
What is Methadone for?
Methadone is a drug with the function to treat the severe pain that is sustainable (like pain due to cancer). Methadone is a class of narco**tics (opiates) analgesics. These drugs work in the brain by altering what the perceived body and how your body responds to pain.
Do not use this medication to relieve the mild pain or can be lost in a few days (like surgical pain). This medicine is not for occasional use only (“when needed”).
The drug is also used to treat dependence on Narco**tic Drugs (such as hero**in) as a therapy program has been approved. These drugs help prevent symptoms of drug discontinuation due to narco**tics drug break up.
- Methadone is not intended for children under the age of 18.
- Avoid the use of methadone if were or had been suffering from respiratory disorders, such as asthma.
- Caution in taking methadone if you are or have a history of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and head injuries or other conditions that can increase the pressure on the brain, such as a brain tumor.
- Tell the doctor if it is was being or had been suffering from heart, kidney and liver diseases, gall bladder disease, thyroid disease, and pancreatic disorders.
- Tell the doctor if it is or ever experiencing mental disorders, such as depression.
- Methadone should be used sparingly against elderly patients or patients with a weakened immune system, because it can increase the risk of respiratory disorders.
- Avoid consuming alco**hol during treatment with methadone, as it can increase the risk of serious side effects.
- In case of allergic reaction or an overdose, soon encountered the doctor.
The use of methadone can not be given to patients with severe liver disorders and children under 18 years of age. These drugs also should not be given to patients who are allergic (hypersensitive) against methadone and other substances that are blended in the manufacture of the drug.
Some manufacturers of methadone mentions that this drug can cause adverse side effects in patients with acute asthma, acute alco**hol dependence, patients with a head injury who have experience increased intracranial pressure (the skull), as well as patients who suffered a spasm of the bile duct and kidneys.
Methadone drug interactions are as follows:
A decrease in the effectiveness of the drug.
Methadone will decrease its effectiveness in use along with the following drugs:
- Antiretroviral like efavirenz, lamivudine, zidovudine, nevirapine, ritonavir, and lopinavir.
- Anticonvulsants: phenobarbital, phenytoin, carbamazepine.
- Antibiotics: rifampicin.
- Urine Acidifiers: Ascorbic acid.
Increases The Concentration Of Methadone.
The concentration of methadone will increase with the use of the drug in conjunction with
- Serotonin selective reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs)) like fluoxetine and sertraline.
- Tricyclic antidepressants such as amitriptyline and desipramine
- Urine alkalizers like sodium bicarbonate.
An Increased Risk Of Side Effects.
An increase in the risk of methadone side effects on the use of these drugs along with
- CYP3A4 Inhibitors such as ketoconazole: and clarithromycin.
- Alco**hol, other opio**ids, central nervous system depressants (benzodiazepine): increases the risk of central nervous system depression.
- Naloxone, naltrexone: increases the likelihood of withdrawal symptoms
Methadone side effects
Common side effects that can occur when taking methadone:.
- Weight gain.
- Gastrointestinal: constipation, anorexia, abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting.
- Pulmonology: respiratory depression.
Orthostatic hypotension for the cardiologist, bradycardia, arrhythmias, prolongation of the QT segment..
- Urology: urinary retention, visual disturbances.
- Reproductive: impotence, se**xual dysfunction, menstrual iregular.
- Neuropsikiatri: euphoria, drowsiness.
- Dermatology: hidrosis and pruritus.
- OIH (Opioid-Induced Hyperalgesia).
If you feel other things that make Your illness increased, with characteristics that will be mentioned below, hopefully you immediately get emergency medical help if you have signs of an allergic reaction: hives; hard to breathe; swelling of the face, lips, tongue, or throat.
The other thing that seriously from other side effects may be experienced by you. It is expected to immediately contact a doctor or go to a nearby hospital to get the medical handling directly, if you have serious side effects, as will be described below:
- Shallow breathing.
- Hallucinations or confusion.
- Chest pain, fast or pounding heartbeat.
- Breathing difficulties, feeling light-headed, or fainting.
Fatal side effects that must be considered when using methadone::
- Stop the heart.
- Stop breathing.
Read also: Fenofibrate side effects and how to use it.
Thank you very much for reading Methadone side effects, hopefully useful.
Last Updated on July 11, 2019 Reviewed by Market Health Beauty Team