Mange is a skin disease caused by the parasitic nature of the mites. Mange mite has two different types which cause skin diseases in dogs. One type lives just below the surface of the skin, while other types live in the hair follicles. Although these two types of mites have the same characteristics, there are also important differences between the two. It is very important not to be confused with the two types of mange it because they have the causes, treatment and prognosis are different.
Demodectic Mange, sometimes called “Demodex Canis” or “Red Mange” is the most common form of mange in dogs. Demodex is caused by Demodex Canis, that is a parasite that lives inside the dog’s hair follicles.
All normal dogs have little mites on their skin. For the immune system to function properly, these mites do not cause harm.
How To Cure Mange In Dogs
Here are some ways to cure Mange In Dogs:
Local demodex case.
- Preferably bathed with shampoo containing Benzoyl Peroxide once a week or granted Rotenone ointment every day.
- Dissolve Amitraz 0.3 ml in 30 ml of water to the bald area is applied once a day for 2 weeks.
- Give Vitamin E alone, sometimes local demodex could recover by itself.
- Evaluation of skin scrapings 2 weeks after treatment.
- If in 2 weeks demodectic mange still found in the evaluation of the skin scrapings, and it even happens to the spread of the bald skin, then generally demodex case became general demodex case.
General demodex case.
- Bathe with Amitraz 0,025% (25 ml Amitraz mixed with water as much as 10 liter) 4-time bathing in 1 week, and then descended into 6 times for 2 weeks. If in two consecutive months of negative skin scrapings from demodectic mange, then treatment can be stopped.
- Provide oral antibiotics (Cephalexin, trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole, or Oxacilin) if there are secondary infections (folliculitis pyoderma).
- If the case of severe demodex can be given Ivermectin 200-600μg / kg PO once daily for 14 days. Or injection of 300 mcg / kg SC days 1st and 14th.
- Monitors in 1 year to be evaluated the possibility of relapse again.
- Consider a balanced food and good for the skin.
- Evaluation of skin scrapings once a week.
Invermectin should not be given on Collies dog, Shetland Sheepdog, Old English Sheepdog, mix breed dogs and its descendants.
Amitraz has side effects:
On the treatment dose can cause symptoms:
- Depression, drowsiness for 2-6 hours.
- No appetite.
- Vomiting and diarrhea.
- PU/PD (thirst and urination).
At high doses, amitraz can cause symptoms:
- CNS Depression.
- The Mydriasis, hypothermia, bradycardia, hypotension, muscle weakness and vomiting.
- Pee is not normal.
- Other neurological symptoms and Ataxia.
- Death often occurs in dogs weighing under 9 kg.
How to treat poisoning caused by Amitraz:
- Over dose because of the bath: Immediately washed and rinsed again.
- Over dose because drunk: give Norit or drug induced vomiting. The best is to give antidote Yohimbine 0.1-0.2 mg/kg IV or SC. Treatment be given again after 2 hours from the first injection.
- For supportive handling, provide intravenous IV NaCl, if necessary can be given an anti vomiting and body warmers.
Thank you very much for reading How To Cure Mange In Dogs, hopefully useful.
Last Updated on June 25, 2018 Reviewed by Market Health Beauty Team