Recognizing Covert Depression
Do you often see friends or acquaintances who seem to work well, are productive and happy all the time, but in fact this friend has a lot of problems, but how come you can still smile and stay happy, not stressed and depressed? Many people think stress and depression are one and the same thing.
Stress and Depression are different
Everyone will experience stress, it’s common in life to have it because we’re not robots. When it comes to depression, it is a diagnosis. The term depression is a mental disorder that causes patterns of thought, feelings and behavior to become disturbing, it can also be more negative.
Symptoms of depression
- His feelings became sad, prolonged sadness that settled and dragged on
- Not eager to seek pleasure
- Unpowered or easily tired
- Difficulty focusing
- Not confident or pessimistic
- Feeling guilty
- Eating disorders
- Sleep disorders
- Thinking of hurting yourself or ending everything
Covert depression definiton
Covert depression is not a diagnosis in the world. We don’t know the diagnosis of depression, but it’s still a term that can be used for the psychic phenomena of urban people.
So covert depression is when in fact he is depressed but symptoms such as the mood of feeling sad It does not stand out, what stands out is the physical symptoms.
Physical symptoms such as persistent pain, then tension in the neck until discomfort in the stomach, nausea, frequent palpitations. Those symptoms that usually stand out, then in addition to these physical complaints appear sleep disorders and eating disorders and in the end become withdrawn lazy to do activities.
Who can experience covert depression?
This depression can affect all ages from childhood to the elderly if the prevalence is more in the elderly. When the elderly, mostly feel alone like their children who do not live in the same house or lose a partner.
For depression, most of these depressions are experienced by productive people because the burden of life is quite a lot, from the economy, work, family or with a partner.
Professionalism should be a cover for those who experience covert depression in productive age. Does this person who is experiencing covert depression realize that he is depressed?
People with this disorder do not realize it because there are in the subconscious all feelings that are actually depressed, there is a sense of sadness in trying the coping mechanism so it makes it look tougher to smile, but actually what appears to be the complaint is physical
Tips to Minimize the Risk of Depression
- Do relaxation to deal with stress, for example yoga or Pilates.
- Fulfill your sleep needs, at least for 8 hours per day.
- Avoid consuming alcoholic beverages.
- Do regular exercise.
- Be sure to hang out with friends or family at some free time.
- Limit the use of social media if it bothers you.
- Stay away from people who are bad influences.
- Perform routine treatment and control of chronic diseases that are at risk of causing depression.
- Consult a doctor if you feel prolonged sadness, especially after experiencing an unpleasant event.
If you have experienced it, you can do the handling depression together with the doctor specialist in psychiatry.