The Symptoms of Ectopic heart beats – Your heart beats in rhythm is usually regular and appropriate to assess the work done on your body at all times. Normal heart rate for an older people ranges from 60 to 100 beats per minute in a state of rest. However, the heart rate can just suddenly disappear or even increased. Abnormalities of heart beat is known by the term ectopic heartbeat.
What is an ectopic heartbeat?
Ectopic heartbeat is a condition of heart rhythm abnormalities which is characterized by a loss of one beat or even an extra pulse. Ectopic heartbeat is also known by the name of premature heart rate. Ectopic heartbeat occurs suddenly without a clear cause. The change of pulse that can also be realized by the the body or not. For example, one beats the pulse of miss when you feel stressed or anxious.
This is quite common and usually do not have serious health effects. Based on its origin there are two types of ectopic heart rate, namely:
- Premature atrial Contractions – ectopic heart rate that occurs in the upper chamber (atrium) of the heart.
- Premature ventricular contractions – ectopic heart rate that occurs in the lower chambers (ventricles) of the heart.
Anyone can experience this condition in all ages. At the age of children usually ectopic heartbeat comes from the upper Chambers of the heart and not dangerous. Whereas, in older people, these conditions occur in the lower part of the cubicle. The emergence of ectopic heart rate generally became more frequent with age.
The cause of ectopic heartbeat
Several things can cause the emergence of ectopic heart rate, among which:
- Consumption of caffeine.
- Taking drugs such as co**caine, hero**in, can**nabis and amphetamines.
- Spicy and salty food consumption.
- Feeling anxious or nervous.
- Experience panic attacks.
- Hormonal changes.
- Side effects of alco**hol consumption.
- Moderate physical activity.
- Experiencing a shortage of potassium levels.
- Side effects of consuming allergic drugs or colds, such as antihistamines
- Side effects of taking regular medications for asthma, such as inhalers; medicine for taking salbutamol, ipratropium bromide.
- Side effects of hypertension drugs consumption such as hydralazine and minoxidil.
- Other health problems.
Ectopic heartbeat is also more found individuals who:
- Have a family history with the ectopic heart rate.
- Have a history of heart attack.
- Suffering from heart disease.
- Experiencing infection of the heart muscle.
- Experiencing hypertension.
Ectopic heartbeat is also commonly experienced by women who are pregnant, because their body and cardiovascular systems undergoing change and supply needs. Both pregnant women and babies in the womb can experience this condition, but it is generally not harmful to the health of the pregnancy.
Read also: Things that can cause heart disease.
Symptoms of Ectopic heart beats
Other health conditions that are associated with ectopic heart rate.
In addition to feel lost and increase heart rate, this condition can also be accompanied by symptoms of disorders of heart health, such as:
- Heart pounding
- Heart rate feels tighter.
- The heart feels stopped.
- Feel limp.
- Head feels dizzy.
Ectopic heart rate generally does not cause complications in heart health. However this condition can be a sign of early and can develop heart disorders such as:
- Ventricular Tachycardia – marked with heart rate becomes more rapid and irregular.
- Arrhythmias – disturbances irregular heart rhythms; may be too fast or too slow.
How to recognize the ectopic heart rate.
This condition may occur unawares because it has no specific signs and effects. But if such disorders often feel loss of heart rate then we recommend that you should consult your doctor. Diagnosis of ectopic heart rate also aims to find other heart rhythm disorders. This is done by using several methods of diagnosis such as heart rate monitors for 24 hours, inspection of electrical signals of the heart rhythm and with electrocardiogram and other function checks with echocardiogram, MRI or CT-scan.
Ectopic heartbeat handling.
Normally doctors don’t do specific actions to overcome the ectopic heart rate. Despite the increase or reduction of the pulses, but generally the heart still work properly. Symptoms of ectopic heart beats can also disappear and get better by itself.
If the symptoms do not disappear by itself, the doctor will check further to find out the causes behind the emergence of ectopic heart rate.
On the other hand, the emergence of ectopic heart beat can be prevented by avoiding precipitating a common abnormal heart rate such as stress, alco**hol consumption and smo**king, or other triggers such as excessive caffeine consumption.
Last Updated on November 10, 2018 Reviewed by Market Health Beauty Team