Lactobacillus acidophilus is a probiotic or good bacteria that normally live in the intestines or digestive tract. Supplements containing Lactobacillus acidophilus can be used to maintain a balance of the amount of these good bacteria in the digestive tract, so it can help overcome diarrhea.
Lactobacillus acidophilus supplements work by maintaining acidity levels in the digestive tract, so as to stop the growth of harmful microorganisms. In addition to supplementing form, these probiotics can also be found in fermented products, such as yogurt.
How does lactobacillus acidophilus work?
There hasn’t been enough research to explain how these herbal supplements work. Please discuss it with your herbalist or doctor for more information. However, there are some studies that show that:
- The normal addition of flora bacteria can help digest food and absorb nutrients, such as vitamins, including fat-soluble vitamins as well as proteins. Acidophilus is a substance that also helps digest various kinds of lactose for people with lactose intolerance.
- These bacteria can help with the treatment of diarrhea, including types of infections, such as diarrhea virus in children and diarrhea in tourists. It is usually used also to prevent and deal with diarrheal diseases associated with the use of antibiotics, and against foreign organisms that can cause diarrheal diseases.
- Able to suppress infections caused by bacteria, such as eczema (skin allergies), acne, and infections of the vagi**na. It can also deal with the symptoms of spleen disease, hives, and boost the immune system. These bacteria work by fighting and preventing the growth of bad bacteria.
- Acidophilus helps control high cholesterol. It works by binding to the cholesterol present in the digestive system to the cell surface, and incorporating it into the cell membrane so that cholesterol will not be absorbed into your bloodstream.
- Another possible action of Lactobacillus acidophilus is to prevent recurrence of bladder cancer. Unfortunately, there is no research that confirms this theory.
Warnings Before Taking Lactobacillus acidophilus
Although it includes over-the-counter medications, lactobacillus acidophilus should not be used carelessly. Here are some things you should pay attention to before using Lactobacillus acidophilus:
- Tell your doctor about any history of allergies you have. Lactobacillus acidophilus supplements should not be given to people who have had an allergic reaction to this product.
- Do not use supplements or products containing Lactobacillus acidophilus if you suffer from a condition that causes a weakened immune system, such as HIV/AIDS or are undergoing chemotherapy.
- Consult your doctor about the use of Lactobacillus acidophilus supplements if you suffer from recurrent urinary tract infections, recurrent fungal infections, chronic diarrhea, or diarrhea accompanied by fever.
- Consult your doctor about the use of Lactobacillus acidophilus supplements if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or are planning a pregnancy.
- Consult your doctor if you are using certain medications, supplements, or herbal products.
- See your doctor immediately if you have an overdose or allergic reaction after taking Lactobacillus acidophilus.
Lactobacillus acidophilus dose
The dose used in the use of Lactobacillus acidophilus is with colony forming units (CFU). A fixed dose of Lactobacillus acidophilus does not yet exist, but the recommended dose is 1-10 billion CFU per day and it is divided into 3-4 times the schedule of consumption. For older persons, it is permissible to take this supplement one to 15 (fifteen) million colony forming units (CFUs) per day to maintain the digestive health of the body, if you are in a healthy state of the body. If you take it in very high doses, it can cause problems in digestion. But if consumed in less (low) amounts may not be able to meet the needs of the body.
It is best to ask the doctor or read first the information on the drug packaging. Give a distance of 2 (two) to 3 (hours) when taken along with antibiotics.
Lactobacillus acidophilus supplements are available in several forms, including:
- Membrane salutes tablets or capsules such as NATROL ACIDOPHILUS 150 CAPSULES
- Chewable tablets
- Powder or granule
- Fermented dairy products such as yogurt or acidophilus milk
- Liquid (in the form of vagi**nal suppositories) is commonly used in medical purposes on female genitalia.
Each of the above preparations contains 500 million to 10 billion cultures of lactobacillus acidophilus bacterial organisms.
- Image: Mogana Das Murtey and Patchamuthu Ramasamy, CC BY-SA 3.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0, via Wikimedia Commons
- Video: Xin Yun