How To Get Rid Of Acid Reflux While Pregnant – Not only morning sickness is a problem during pregnancy. You should also be ready for impaired gastric acid or GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) that often accompanies during pregnancy.
It is not uncommon for women to experience the condition of stomach acid rises during pregnancy. GERD is caused by the influence of hormones that make the woman digestive system slower.
An enlarged uterine condition and pressing the stomach can also be the cause.
Have you felt the heat in the chest when pregnant? This condition is popularly known as heartburn. It can be felt when the stomach acid rises into the esophagus.
How To Get Rid Of Acid Reflux While Pregnant
Rising stomach acid while pregnant, certainly makes you feel uncomfortable. However, you don’t need to worry because there are several ways to minimize it.
Change your eating habits
The first way How To Get Rid Of Acid Reflux While Pregnant is change your eating habits.
This is the best way to cope with your stomach acid disorder. Some of the things you need to change related to your eating habits are:
- Eat food with small portions, but often.
- Eat slowly, don’t hurry.
- Do not immediately lie down or sleep after you eat. At least you have to wait 2-3 hours after meals, if you want to lie down or sleep. Give your stomach time to process the food you’ve just eaten. For that, you are not advised to have dinner close to bedtime.
- It’s best to avoid chocolates and mint because these two foods can make your stomach acid disorder worse. Chocolate and mint can make the muscles in the esophagus (the channel that connects the esophagus and stomach) to relax, so the gastric acid can rise to the esophagus.
- Avoid spicy foods, acids and coffee. These foods can also make gastric acid disorders worse in some people. If you feel discomfort after consuming the food, you should stop eating. You can choose other foods that do not exacerbate your stomach acid disorders.
- Avoid drinking too much during your meal, this will make your stomach full so you feel uncomfortable. Drinking plenty of water during pregnancy is advised, but choose the right time, do not during your meal.
- Try to chew gum after eating. Chewing gum can make the production of saliva increased, so it can help neutralize the acid that rises into the esophagus.
- Avoid milk and its derivative products, which can increase stomach acid.
Read also: 7 Good Foods For Acid Reflux
Important for maternal and fetal health. In addition, water can also rinse excess acid out of the stomach. Water will also drain the contents of the stomach thereby preventing constipation.
Choose Loose Clothing
Do not add pressure in the abdominal area with tight clothing. Choose a loose shirt.
Ginger tea is the best choice to relieve stomach problems such as nausea and also help overcome gastric acid problem. Drink a cup of ginger tea 20 minutes before eating and it is able to prevent the rise of stomach acid.
Find the Trigger
The next ways How To Get Rid Of Acid Reflux While Pregnant is find the trigger.
It is not easy, but try to look for the trigger of gastric acid rise, for example, what foods we have eaten and cause an uncomfortable stomach and should be avoided at a later date.
The height of head bed.
Gravity is instrumental in controlling the gastric acid rise. When sleeping in a back, the stomach is more likely to undergo reflux into the throat. According to research, patients who elevate the headboard have a much lighter reflux impact.
Sleep on the left side opposite to the right side may reduce the frequency and duration of reflux in patients prone to these symptoms at night.
Take antacids, very effective and safe because it is not absorbed into the bloodstream.
Make sure you are not overweight
When pregnant does not mean you can eat various foods as well as you do. Because overweight in pregnant women gives a lot of side effects, one of them is the increase in gastric acid. Because when pregnant, the uterus enlarges and pressed the stomach.
In addition, if you are overweight, the stomach will be increasingly depressed and cause a drastic increase in gastric acid that creates a sense of discomfort.
To lose weight while pregnant, you should consult a nutritionist. The doctor will provide a recommended food menu that can be consumed to keep the body weight normal while ensuring that the fetus is still gaining nutritional adequacy.
Be sure not to focus on one type of food, because the fetus requires complete nutritional intake of different types of food.
Warm drink consumption
Warm ginger or lemon tea can help alleviate gastric acid gains that mother experience during pregnancy. Not only so, these two types of beverages also help to reduce the nausea and vomiting that women experience, especially when in the early trimester of pregnancy.
Camomile tea can also help the mother feel more comfortable.
Thank you very much for reading How To Get Rid Of Acid Reflux While Pregnant. However, if the problem of stomach acid while pregnant does not subside even if the mother has done the ways above, then you should be checking the health condition to the doctor.
Last Updated on February 5, 2020 Reviewed by Market Health Beauty Team