Donepezil Side Effects and Rules of Use – Donepezil is a drug used to treat mild to severe dementia caused by Alzheimer’s disease. Dementia is characterized by declining memory, thinking and speaking skills, and understanding something.
Donepezil is a type of acetylcholinesterases enzyme inhibitors. With these enzymes, brain chemical compounds (acetylcholine) are useful for transmitting nerve signals, inhibited demolition. This condition is able to improve brain function of Alzheimer sufferers.
But keep in mind, donepezil is incapable of curing Alzheimer’s and is only capable of alleviating symptoms of dementia experienced by sufferers.
- Donepezil is not intended for children under 18 years of age.
- Be careful to use this drug when it is suffering from heart disorders, asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, epilepsy, difficult urination, and inflammation of the pro**state gland.
- Be careful to use this drug if it has a history of peptic ulcers, liver disease, and impaired renal function.
- Tell your doctor if you are taking donepezil before undergoing surgery, including dental surgery.
- Tell your doctor if you are using other medications, including, supplements and herbal products.
- If there is an allergic reaction or overdose, immediately meet the doctor.
Medicinal use rules
Always follow the advice of your doctor or read the instructions on donepezil drug packaging before taking it. The drug is taken by eating, without eating, or as directed by a physician. Usually taken once a day before bedtime.
The dosage will be administered according to medical indications. The doctor will begin by giving a low dose to reduce the risk of side effects such as diarrhea and nausea. Do not exceed dosage or frequency based on a doctor’s recommendation. Tell your doctor if the condition deteriorates.
Donepezil Side Effects
Each drug usage always has certain side effects. Side effects do not necessarily occur in any application of the drug. However, excessive side effects should immediately obtain medical treatment.
Donepezil medications can cause side effects:
- Loss of appetite,
- Sleep deprivation,
- Painful muscles
- Easy to feel tired
- Eases nervous
- Easy to feel confused
- Mood swings
- Unreasonable Dreams
If the Donepezil side effects deteriorate, contact your doctor immediately for medical treatment.
Seek medical help immediately in case of any of the following side effects, which are rare, but serious in nature.
- Difficult urination
- Severe abdominal pain
- Heart rate slows down or becomes fast
- Hard to breath.
- Swelling of the face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Coughing up blood, bloody stools or dark in color
There are some other side effects that have not been mentioned above. If you experience other effects, ask the medical personnel.
A few things you should do and note before deciding to use Donepezil are as follows:
- Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to donepezil, other piperidine medications, or ingredients contained in donepezil. Consult your doctor or pharmacist if you do not know whether you are allergic to the treatment of piperidine type or not. Ask your doctor or pharmacist about the ingredients contained in this drug.
- Tell your doctor or pharmacist about the type of medication (medication prescription or not), vitamins, supplements, and herbal medicines that you are or will be taking. Your doctor may need to change the dosage of your medication or monitor you carefully avoid the emergence of side effects.
- Tell your doctor if your weight is less than 120lb (55 kg) and if you are or have suffered bleeding in your stomach or intestines, caused by, for example: ulcer, irregular heartbeat, slow or even too fast, convulsions, difficulty urinating, asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (lung disease including chronic bronchitis or emphysema), or kidney disease, liver disorders, or heart disease.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, or are planning to get pregnant, or are breastfeeding. If you are pregnant while taking donepezil, contact your doctor as soon as possible.
Read also: Olanzapine side effects
Thank you very much for reading Donepezil Side Effects and Rules of Use, hopefully useful.
Last Updated on April 14, 2020 Reviewed by Market Health Beauty Team