Anti Depression Pills Types and Side Effects – Antidepressants are drugs used to treat depression. The drug works by balancing the content of natural chemical compounds in the brain called neurotransmitters, so as to relieve complaints and help improve mood and emotions.
In addition to treating depression, antidepressants can also be used to treat other conditions, such as obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), generalized anxiety disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), phobias, and bulimia as well as pain complaints. The drug should only be used with a doctor’s prescription.
Understandably, antidepressants can not cure depression. The drug only helps control or reduce symptoms of depression or decrease its severity.
Anti Depression Pills Types and Side Effects
There are several types of antidepressant drugs that are divided by how they work and the side effects they cause, including:
There are several types of antidepressant drugs that are divided based on how they work and the side effects they cause.
Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs)
This type of antidepressant is generally the main option to treat depression due to the low risk of side effects. SSRIs work by suppressing the re-absorption of serotonin in the brain. Examples of SSRI class drugs are:
SSRIs side effects that may appear include:
- Gastrointestinal disorders (affected by the dosage amount) such as nausea, vomiting, dyspepsia, abdominal pain, diarrhea, constipation.
- Anorexia with weight loss, but in some cases there is an increase in appetite, so the weight gain.
- Hypersensitivity reactions include itching, hives, anaphylaxis, myalgia.
- Dry mouth.
- Disorders of se**xual function arise.
- Difficulty when removing urine or emptying the bladder.
- Vision problems.
- Bleeding disorders.
It is also worth remembering that SSRIs depression drugs should not be used if the patient enters the mania phase, which is a condition that makes a person very excited physically and mentally, thus sometimes causing irrational actions.
Tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs)
This group is a type of antidepressant that was first developed. Although it has been used for a long time, but this drug often causes many side effects when compared to other antidepressants. TCAs work by influencing the compound of the sender of messages in the brain so that the mood can be controlled and will relieve depression. Examples of TCAs class drugs are:
Side effects caused by this type of antidepressant drugs are:
- Blockade of the heart (especially on the use of amitriptyline).
- Dry mouth.
- Blurred vision.
- Urine retention.
- Irregular or rapid heartbeat.
The side effects of this depression drug can be reduced if initially given in low doses, and then gradually raised. Gradual dosing is especially applied to elderly people who have depression, as there is a risk of a decrease in blood pressure that may cause a headache and even fainting.
Serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs)
This type of antidepressant works by inhibiting serotonin and norepinephrine from being reabsorbed by nerve cells. SNRIs work more specifically compared to TCAs, so the chances of side effects occurring are smaller. Examples of SNRI drugs are:
Side effects of this type of depression medication, include:
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Dizziness, the head feels clumsy.
- Difficulty sleeping (insomnia).
- An unusual dream or a nightmare.
- Excessive sweating.
- Feeling anxious.
- Se**xual problems.
Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs)
This type of antidepressant is administered if other antidepressant drugs are not able to cope with complaints. Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) work to inhibit the performance noradrenaline and serotonin compounds to prevent the onset of depressive symptoms.
Although safe to use, MAOI can cause a variety of side effects, especially if consumed simultaneously with certain foods. Examples of MAOIs drugs are:
MAOI can cause interaction with some foods, such as cheese, pickles, and wi**ne. Therefore, you should be careful with the food you consume while using the drug.
This type of antidepressant drug has very serious side effects. The side effects that occur are:
- Dizziness (headache, rotating room sensation).
- Changes in blood pressure.
- Feeling sleepy.
- It’s hard to sleep.
- Fluid deposits in the body (e.g. Swelling of the legs and ankles).
- Blurred vision.
- Weight gain.
This type of antidepressant is different from other antidepressants. The drug works by influencing the sending of messages in the brain (neurotransmitters) used to communicate between brain cells so that it can alter mood and relieve depression. Examples of atypical antidepressant drugs are:
The side effects given from this drug are drowsiness, increased appetite, weight gain, dry mouth, constipation, flu symptoms, and dizziness.
Warnings Before Taking Antidepressants
Antidepressants should only be used as prescribed by your doctor. There are several things you should pay attention to before using antidepressants, including:
- Do not use antidepressant medications if you are allergic to these medications.
- Tell your doctor if you’re pregnant, breastfeeding, or planning a pregnancy.
- Tell your doctor if you have a history of heart disease, liver disorders, kidney disorders, or have other illnesses.
- Tell your doctor if you’re taking other medications, including herbal products or supplements.
- Do not consume beverages containing alco**hol during treatment with antidepressants.
- Do not take antidepressants in children under 18 years of age.
- Before using antidepressant drugs, consult a doctor first related to foods, drinks, drugs and supplements that can affect antidepressant performance.
- Certain types of antidepressants can cause drowsiness, dizziness, or blurry vision. Therefore, do not drive a vehicle or operate heavy equipment during treatment.
- Do not stop treatment suddenly without consulting a doctor first.
- If there is a drug allergy reaction or overdose after taking antidepressant drugs, see a doctor immediately.
Last Updated on January 9, 2022 Reviewed by Market Health Beauty Team