Amlodipine, or precisely amlodipine besylate, can be consumed as a single drug or combined with other drugs in overcoming hypertension. The drug is available in 2 types of preparations, namely Amlodipine Besylate 5 mg and 10 mg.
Amlodipine works by relaxing the walls of blood vessels. The effect will facilitate blood flow to the heart and reduce blood pressure. In addition to overcoming hypertension, amlodipine is also used to relieve symptoms of chest pain or angina pectoris in coronary heart disease.
Amlodipine Besylate Composition
- Each tablet contains amlodipine besylate 6.9 mg equivalent to amlodipine 5 mg.
- Each tablet contains amlodipine besylate 13.8 mg equivalent to amlodipine 10 mg.
Pharmacodynamics of amlodipine besylate
Amlodipine is an inhibitor of calcium ion influx (slow channel blocker or calcium ion antagonist) and inhibits transmembrane influx of calcium ions into the heart and vascular smooth muscles.
The antihypertensive mechanism of action of amlodipine is based on the direct relaxant effect on vascular smooth muscles. The exact mechanism of how amlodipine relieves angina has not been fully established, but amlodipine lowers the total ischemic load in two ways, namely:
- Amlodipine widens peripheral arterioles and thus, lowers the total peripheral resistance (afterload) to the work of the heart. As the heart rate remains stable, the heart load becomes reduced, thus reducing myocardial energy and oxygen consumption.
- The mechanism of action of amlodipine may also concern the dilation of the main coronary artery and coronary arterioles, both under normal and ischemic conditions. This dilation increases myocardial oxygen delivery in patients with coronary artery seizures (Prinzmetal’s or angina variants).
Dosing once a day in hypertensive patients can lower blood pressure for 24 hours. Due to the slow start of amlodipine work, it does not cause acute hypotension.
Precautions Before Taking Amlodipine:
- Do not give amlodipine to children under 6 years of age.
- Before taking amlodipine, tell your doctor if you have a history of liver disease, heart disease, and low blood pressure.
- Do not take amlodipine along with vitamins, herbal remedies, or medications for fever, flu, cough, and asthma, unless prescribed by a doctor.
- Amlodipine can cause dizziness. After taking this drug, avoid driving, operating heavy equipment, or doing activities that require vigilance and concentration, especially in the elderly.
- Before taking amlodipine, inform your doctor if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy.
- Before undergoing surgery, inform the doctor if you are taking amlodipine.
- In case of an allergic reaction or overdose, see a doctor immediately.
Amlodipine Besylate Dosage
Each drug has its own dosage, including Amlodipine Besylate. As an antihypertensive drug, Amlodipine Besylate should be consumed according to the given dose. The dose should pay attention to the condition of the patient’s body, and the reaction to the drug. So as not to cause anything untoward.
Dosage for Hypertension
Amlodipine Besylate is used to cope with high blood pressure at certain doses. In older persons, the initial dose administered 5 mg as much as 1 time a day. Furthermore, it can be increased by 10 mg, 1 time a day.
For children aged 6 to 17 years, the dose is only 2.5 mg for 1 time a day. As for the elderly are given a dose of 2.5 mg as much as 1 time a day. The administration of Amlodipine Besylate should be regularly accompanied by an examination by a doctor.
Dosage for Angina Prinzmetal
In addition to overcoming hypertension, this drug can also overcome pain or prinzmetal angina. The dose given is for older persons 5 mg daily and for the elderly as much as 2.5 mg daily. With a not too long and close time lag of consumption.
Dosage for Liver Disorders
Amlodipine Besylate can be administered to people with liver disorders at a dose of 2.5 mg for 1 time a day.
Last Updated on March 7, 2021 Reviewed by Market Health Beauty Team